Thursday 21 July 2011

The 1930s house project

The 1930s house


I'm transforming a 1930s house into a home on a tight budget, which means doing a lot of work myself, with the help of my partner.

I'm not new to renovating, having done up a 1900 terraced house and an 1860s semi, but this time round I want to try harder to preserve the integrity of the building by researching the original style and adapting what I own - furniture, furnishings and bric-a-brac (basically dustcatchers). I have a mix of antiques, vintage furniture and modern pieces, so it will be a challenge!


Garden of the 1930s house


There will be updates on the garden too, at present it's very overgrown with huge trees and plenty of bramble patches.

Subscribe to this blog if you wish to follow our progress and glean a few ideas for your own home! I will be covering furniture care and revamp, furnishings & home crafts, DIY (indoors and outdoors) and anything old or vintage I come across. I will be naming products used and show you stages of transformation. Remember that this is a real home, not a magazine's photoshoot...

About me
I've always had an interest in antiques, old buildings and past times. I've written and edited articles on period homes, interiors and vintage topics for websites and magazines such as Period Living, Country Homes and BBC Homes and Antiques. These days I'm focusing on digital writing and less grand interiors, but I have treasured my experience at period/traditional magazines and I'm hoping to maintain their inspiration as much as I can, which is not going to be easy (my budget is tight). If you want to read what I've written so far, click here for a list of my articles, covering interiors, shopping and renovation. This list will be updated as and when new articles are published.

No comments:

Post a Comment